Central/Keating Junior High School in Pueblo, Colorado, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in December 2020. The school is significant in the area of Education, serving as Pueblo School District 20’s first and only junior high school from its initial construction in 1927 to 1954. The building continued as a junior high/middle school until its closure in 1982. The school reflects the district’s implementation of the 1910s and 1920s concept of educational reform through creation of the junior high school, an intermediate level facility between elementary and high schools that recognized the different social and educational needs of young teenagers. The school is also locally significant for its Architecture as a well-preserved example of the Classical Revival architectural style applied to educational buildings. It also is an illustration of a purpose-built 1920s junior high school building, including functional rooms reflecting then new teaching methods and curriculums. The school is further locally significant as a work of Pueblo architects William W. Stickney (1922 central part) and Walter F. DeMordaunt (1929 east and west wings).
Maxwell Park School. The 1912 Maxwell Park School southwest of Buena Vista was listed in the National Register in December 2020. The one-room country school is significant for its architecture and for the role it played in educating the children of surrounding ranchers. The building displays ornamental concrete block construction.
Riedel/Circle S Ranch Bunkhouse. The 1930s Riedel/Circle S Ranch bunkhouse west of Buena Vista was listed in the State Register in September. The bunkhouse is for its association with dude ranching from ca. early 1930s to the ca. early 1940s. The building represents the growing popularity of dude ranching in Colorado, as it was formed by joining two existing buildings together, a ranch hand bunkhouse and a log cabin to provide accommodations for ranch guests. Jack W. and Harriet R. Riedel purchased the existing ranch property in 1930 and began dude/guest ranch activities during the summers. The building is further significant as an example of a Rustic-style dude ranch guesthouse/bunkhouse. The Rustic style was often employed in mountain settings for lodges, vacation homes, and other resort facilities. This building’s Rustic architecture displays log walls; a gable roof; a full-width porch with log posts, bracing, and railing facing a scenic view; and multiple entrances on the front, some featuring ornamented Dutch wood doors
Irving Barn. The ca. 1886-88 Irving Barn south of Nathrop was listed in the State Register in September. The frame barn is significant in the area of Architecture as an example of an English frame barn in central Chaffee County, as reflected in its original rectangular shape, side-gable roof, board walls, upper story loft, and entrance on the wall of its long axis. James C. and Margaret S. Irving settled on the farm in 1886, and erected the barn. Mr. Irving became one of the most prosperous farmers in this section of Chaffee County, raising vegetables and livestock and adding more land to his holdings. The east addition illustrates the custom of adding onto an early barn to meet new needs. In this case the new space may have housed a vehicle, farm machinery, or storage space.
Find out what we're working on right now in Current Projects. Check back for updates.
- Current Projects
- Qualifications, Awards, Clients
- Photo Gallery
- Special Projects