Colorado Fuel and Iron Company Administrative Complex, Pueblo, Colorado was designated as a National Historic Landmark in January 2021. The administrative complex served as the operational headquarters for the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I), a firm formed in 1892 that played an influential role in the development of the American economy through industrial extraction and production in the early twentieth century as the Trans-Mississippi West’s pioneer steelmaker and its principal coal and coke enterprise. Managers, engineers, and clerical staff within the administrative complex oversaw the day to day administration of Colorado Fuel and Iron’s multi-state industrial empire, including operating a steel and iron plant in Pueblo (completed in 1882 and comprising the nation’s first, fully integrated steel manufacturing facility west of St. Louis, a position it retained until 1942); overseeing coal, iron, and limestone mines and coke ovens in Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, and Oklahoma; directing the flow of eastern capital to developing western natural resources and industrial capacity, particularly through the involvement of the Rockefeller family who controlled the company from 1907 to 1944; and implementing the firm’s 1915 Employee Representation Plan, which impacted workers and work culture and stimulated the adoption of hundreds of similar measures throughout the country in the 1910s and 1920s. Designated January 2021.
In January 2021, the Secretary of the Interior designated the Klagetoh Chapter House on the Navajo Nation in northeast Arizona a National Historic Landmark. Significant for its association with Navajo political leader and public health advocate Annie Dodge Wauneka, the chapter house was constructed in 1964 and employs native sandstone quarried near by. Wauneka gained election to the Navajo Tribal Council in 1951 and served in that body until 1979. In the 1950s, she led the Navajo effort to combat an epidemic of tuberculosis on the reservation and gained national attention and praise for her advocacy on public health matters. Wauneka was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in December 1963. During the 2020 Covid pandemic, the chapter house served as a testing and supply distribution site. The project was undertaken by Front Range for the National Collaborative for Women's History Sites.
Find out what we're working on right now in Current Projects. Check back for updates.
- Current Projects
- Qualifications, Awards, Clients
- Photo Gallery
- Special Projects